Salem Common Bandstand Restoration Project
The Salem Common Bandstand was constructed in 1926 to commemorate Salem’s Tercentenary. The octagonal structure was designed by architect Philip Horton Smith in the Colonial Revival style. The finely-proportioned temple-like structure features open arches flanked by Roman Doric columns and a domed roof capped by a pineapple to symbolize friendship, welcome and hospitality. In 1974, the City dedicated the bandstand to Jean Missud, who founded the Salem Cadet Band in 1878 and led the group for 63 years.
In 2018, the City began a multi-phase project to restore the Bandstand. Years of exposure to the weather have caused significant deterioration to the Bandstand’s cast stone and concrete structure. In addition, original basement windows were replaced with plywood and basement entrance doors have been vandalized. A consultant team, including an architect and structural engineer, was hired to complete a conditions assessment of the structure and to provide costs estimates for the restoration. The City awarded Community Preservation Act funds to support the restoration project, which is anticipated to begin in the fall of 2019.