Historic Images of Charter Street cemetery

Click on the images below to enlarge each view. To see more archival images of Salem’s historic cemeteries, please visit the online collection of Frank Cousins Glass Plate Negatives at the Phillips Library, Peabody Essex Museum here.

For more information on the gravestones of Charter Street Cemetery, see “Our Silent Neighbors” by Betty J. Bouchard, available at the Trolley Depot on Essex Street or online here or a “Visual Cemetery Guide to the Charter Street Cemetery” by John Robert Cole available online here.

This page is a work in progress, please check back for more historic and current images of Charter Street Cemetery…

CHARTER STREET CEMETERY ENTRANCE    Frank Cousins, [Monuments, Salem, Charter Street Cemetery], [1864-1914], Frank Cousins Collection of Glass Plate Negatives, Courtesy of Phillips Library, Peabody Essex Museum, Salem, MA.

CHARTER STREET CEMETERY ENTRANCE

Frank Cousins, [Monuments, Salem, Charter Street Cemetery], [1864-1914], Frank Cousins Collection of Glass Plate Negatives, Courtesy of Phillips Library, Peabody Essex Museum, Salem, MA.

MARY COREY, WIFE OF GILES COREY   Mary Corry (Corey) was the first wife of Giles Corey, who was accused of witchcraft during the Salem Witch Trials of 1692 and was executed by “pressing”. Mary died in 1684, eight years before the Witch Trials.   Frank Cousins, [Monuments, Mary Corey, aged 63, September 27, 1684, Salem, Charter Street Cemetery) , [1864-1914], Frank Cousins Collection of Glass Plate Negatives, Courtesy of Phillips Library, Peabody Essex Museum, Salem, MA.

MARY COREY, WIFE OF GILES COREY

Mary Corry (Corey) was the first wife of Giles Corey, who was accused of witchcraft during the Salem Witch Trials of 1692 and was executed by “pressing”. Mary died in 1684, eight years before the Witch Trials.

Frank Cousins, [Monuments, Mary Corey, aged 63, September 27, 1684, Salem, Charter Street Cemetery) , [1864-1914], Frank Cousins Collection of Glass Plate Negatives, Courtesy of Phillips Library, Peabody Essex Museum, Salem, MA.

NATHANIEL MATHER   Son of Increase Mather and brother of Cotton Mather, famous Puritan ministers. Inscription reads “An Aged Person that has seen but 19 winters in this world”. Nathaniel entered Harvard College at the age of 12, graduated at 16 and died at 19. Stone was carved by William Mumford.   Frank Cousins, (Monuments, Nathaniel Mather grave, Salem, Charter Street Cemetery], [1864-1914], Frank Cousins Collection of Glass Plate Negatives, Courtesy of Phillips Library, Peabody Essex Museum, Salem, MA.

NATHANIEL MATHER

Son of Increase Mather and brother of Cotton Mather, famous Puritan ministers. Inscription reads “An Aged Person that has seen but 19 winters in this world”. Nathaniel entered Harvard College at the age of 12, graduated at 16 and died at 19. Stone was carved by William Mumford.

Frank Cousins, (Monuments, Nathaniel Mather grave, Salem, Charter Street Cemetery], [1864-1914], Frank Cousins Collection of Glass Plate Negatives, Courtesy of Phillips Library, Peabody Essex Museum, Salem, MA.

JOHN HATHORNE   John Hathorne was a judge during the Salem Witchcraft Trials of 1692. His ancestor, Nathaniel Hawthorne, added the “w” to his name to distance himself from the role Justice Hathorne played in the trials. John Hathorne’s stone was carved by John Holliman and is now encased in granite.   Frank Cousins, (Monuments, Charter Street, monuments, burying ground, gravestones, Colonel John Hathorne], [1864-1914], Frank Cousins Collection of Glass Plate Negatives, Courtesy of Phillips Library, Peabody Essex Museum, Salem, MA.

JOHN HATHORNE

John Hathorne was a judge during the Salem Witchcraft Trials of 1692. His ancestor, Nathaniel Hawthorne, added the “w” to his name to distance himself from the role Justice Hathorne played in the trials. John Hathorne’s stone was carved by John Holliman and is now encased in granite.

Frank Cousins, (Monuments, Charter Street, monuments, burying ground, gravestones, Colonel John Hathorne], [1864-1914], Frank Cousins Collection of Glass Plate Negatives, Courtesy of Phillips Library, Peabody Essex Museum, Salem, MA.

SAMUEL McINTIRE   Samuel McIntire (1757-1811), celebrated architect and master woodcarver, designed many of Salem’s most significant Federal era buildings including the Pierce-Nichols House, the Gardner-Pingree House and Hamilton Hall. The inscription on his headstone reads: “ He was distinguished for genius in Architecture, Sculpture and Musik. Modest and sweet manners rendered him pleasing: Industry and Integrity, respectable. He professed the religion of Jesus in his entrance into manly life; and proved its excellence by virtuous principal and unblemished conduct.”    Frank Cousins, (Monuments, Salem, Charter Street Cemetery. Samuel McIntire gravestone], Frank Cousins Collection of Glass Plate Negatives, Courtesy of Phillips Library, Peabody Essex Museum, Salem, MA.

SAMUEL McINTIRE

Samuel McIntire (1757-1811), celebrated architect and master woodcarver, designed many of Salem’s most significant Federal era buildings including the Pierce-Nichols House, the Gardner-Pingree House and Hamilton Hall. The inscription on his headstone reads: “He was distinguished for genius in Architecture, Sculpture and Musik. Modest and sweet manners rendered him pleasing: Industry and Integrity, respectable. He professed the religion of Jesus in his entrance into manly life; and proved its excellence by virtuous principal and unblemished conduct.”

Frank Cousins, (Monuments, Salem, Charter Street Cemetery. Samuel McIntire gravestone], Frank Cousins Collection of Glass Plate Negatives, Courtesy of Phillips Library, Peabody Essex Museum, Salem, MA.

LINDALL FAMILY STONES   These highly decorative stones include the stone of Timothy Lindall, likely carved by stonecutter William Mumford with a figure of Father Time, a winged hourglass and skeleton (see stone second to the right). In the front is the stone of the “Children of Mr. James and Mrs. Mary Lindall”, none of whom lived past the age of one. This stone is attributed to the stonecutter John Holliman.   Frank Cousins, (Monuments, Lindall family graves, Salem, Charter Street Cemetery], [1864-1914], Frank Cousins Collection of Glass Plate Negatives, Courtesy of Phillips Library, Peabody Essex Museum, Salem, MA.

LINDALL FAMILY STONES

These highly decorative stones include the stone of Timothy Lindall, likely carved by stonecutter William Mumford with a figure of Father Time, a winged hourglass and skeleton (see stone second to the right). In the front is the stone of the “Children of Mr. James and Mrs. Mary Lindall”, none of whom lived past the age of one. This stone is attributed to the stonecutter John Holliman.

Frank Cousins, (Monuments, Lindall family graves, Salem, Charter Street Cemetery], [1864-1914], Frank Cousins Collection of Glass Plate Negatives, Courtesy of Phillips Library, Peabody Essex Museum, Salem, MA.

TIMOTHY LINDALL   The Timothy Lindall stone features one of the cemetery’s most impressive carvings with a figure of Father Time carrying a scythe topped by a winged hourglass on the right border and a skeleton on the left border. A winged soul-effigy is located on the tympanum. The stone was likely carved by stonecutter William Mumford (1681-1718).   Frank Cousins, (Monuments, Timothy Lindall, gravestone], Frank Cousins Collection of Glass Plate Negatives, Courtesy of Phillips Library, Peabody Essex Museum, Salem, MA.

TIMOTHY LINDALL

The Timothy Lindall stone features one of the cemetery’s most impressive carvings with a figure of Father Time carrying a scythe topped by a winged hourglass on the right border and a skeleton on the left border. A winged soul-effigy is located on the tympanum. The stone was likely carved by stonecutter William Mumford (1681-1718).

Frank Cousins, (Monuments, Timothy Lindall, gravestone], Frank Cousins Collection of Glass Plate Negatives, Courtesy of Phillips Library, Peabody Essex Museum, Salem, MA.